Sunday, December 9, 2012

How to Easily Disable Autorun CD and USB Drive in Windows XP

Today I helped a colleague install new PC. Because the system is a bit fussy, finally have some time looking for the right driver and install the desired software. At the time of this process many times I need to access the data through the master's in an external hard drive and USB stick. Even though I already knew it, every time I plug it in, Windows will still loyal to detect what the first flash / External Hard Disk yan I use. This is quite disturbing considering the process of trial-and-error that I did.
I then remembered my old record collection about Windows XP. If not mistaken there is a way to disable features of Windows. After some time looking at the pile of files, finally I found this guide.

This method is shown to work well in Windows XP Professional that I use. You may have to adjust some things in Windows XP Home or Win7 which later was widely used. I used to do this to minimize virus attacks that use autorun script on the CD or USB stick.
To start the configuration, you need to enter the following command line in the Windows menu> Run.

gpedit.msc
Finish by clicking OK.
Next will come the Group Policy window. Go to the Local Computer Policy> Administrative Templates> System.
On the right side of the window, find the row Turn Off Autoplay option.


Double-click the line, then the window will appear as below.

Select the setting to Enabled, and select Turn Off Autoplay On: All Drives. Finish by clicking OK.
Completed.
Now my colleague PC I can finish faster by eliminating the Autorun facility whenever an external hard drive plugged in via USB. Thus, I will also minimize the possibility of a virus attack Autoplay.
Hopefully useful.

0 comments: